Thursday, April 17, 2008

I'm disgusted

I was doing my daily celeb hunting blogs today and came across a very interesting/disgusting/totally horrible entry on "Perez Hilton". I don't know how many of you want to read this, but apparently there is a girl who has decided that for an art project for school, she is going to do research on abortions. By having them. Here is the article Perez posted on his blog (if you are sensitive to this stuff...I would suggest not reading it.):


"Aliza Shvarts, a Yale art major, has done something different for her senior art project this year.

The "artist" has documented herself throughout a 9 month process where she artificially inseminated herself and then periodically took abortifacient drugs in order to induce miscarriages.

The exhibit, which will begin next Tuesday, will include video recordings of the forced miscarriages.

It will also include preserved samples of the blood during the process.

According to Shvarts, her goal was to "spark conversation and debate on the relationship between art and the human body."

Students have expressed shock upon hearing of the exhibit. Rightfully so!

Shvarts insists that her art isn't for shock value. Liar. She says, "I hope it inspires some sort of discourse. Sure, some people will be upset with the message and will not agree with it, but it's not the intention of the piece to scandalize anyone."

As for the "donors", she claims they were not paid for their "services". She also claims to have required them to periodically take tests for STDs, though did not want to disclose the number of sperm donors used.

As for the medical risk related to multiple abortions, Shvarts says she was not worried. She said the abortifacient drugs she took were herbal and legal, and decided she didn't need to consult a doctor.

What if she's caused herself serious and permanent damage????

At least this "artist" has one fan. Juan Castillo, another senior art major, said he was intrigued by the beauty of her project. He says, "I really loved the idea of this project, but a lot other people didn't. I think that most people were very resistant to thinking about what the project was really about. [The senior-art-project forum] stopped being a conversation on the work itself."

As for the actual exhibit, Schvarts will feature a large cube hanging from the ceiling. Wrapped around that cube will be hundreds of feet of plastic sheeting which will be lined with her blood from the miscarriages.

The old blood will be mixed with vaseline to prevent it from drying.


She will also project the recorded videos of herself, showing the miscarriages she had in her bathtub, onto the sides of the cube.

Similar footage will also be projected onto the walls of the room.

Shvarts adds, "It was a private and personal endeavor, but also a transparent one for the most part. This isn't something I've been hiding." Adding, that she believes "strongly that art should be a medium for politics and ideologies, not just a commodity. I think that I'm creating a project that lives up to the standard of what art is supposed to be."




I cannot even believe my eyes. Who in their right mind would do such a thing?! I never thought I would say this, but I agree with what Perez Hilton says "I'm all for a women's right to choose, but this is abusing that right"

Being a woman who has had a miscarriage, and has the most respect for human life and how sacred it is, I am horrified. I cringed while reading that article. I also love art and appreciate every form of it, but when you take the life of an innocent child (fetus or not), there should be consequences. I guess it all boils down to whether or not you believe that fetus has a spirit or not, and I know the church has not said either way, but I would not be willing to take that risk. There are many women who can not even get pregnant and would be livid this woman is taking advantage of such a thing.

Shame on her for tampering with something so special.

http://www.yaledailynews.com/articles/view/24513

4 comments:

brie said...

I seriously feel sick. What a giant furry a-hole. What is wrong with the world today??!!

The Kari said...

*Wait* - i think I have to go throw up my insides and hope my heart also dislodges itself and is freed from my body so that I won't have to stay up tonight contemplating the horrid-ness that was this woman's ART PROJECT!!!!!!!
Seriously lady! To tamper with something as eternal as creation and as precious as the life of another human being! There has got to be some kind of law against it! I think I'm going to go cry myself to sleep thinking of what that woman is doing when there are so many people - as Shannon said - that are paying good money on the off chance that they can use Invitro Fertilization or any other such method to be blessed with a child. I'm sorry, I know you didn't do it yourself Shan and that girl will never see my comments on *your* blog but I couldn't just think quietly to myself about THAT one.

Amy @MoMomma said...

That story was aweful!! I seriously want to puke!

Amanda said...

I can't believe there would be someone out there who would do such a thing!! I guess we know how corrupt this world is becoming. We need to get together soon!