It all started with my weekly appointment last tusday the 7th. I was a day over my due date and pretty tired and miserable. Baby girl had been chilling on my sciatic nerve for a good couple of weeks, causing lots of charlie horses and making me limp everywhere I went. I really truly wanted to go into labor on my own, but after the Dr told me that I was still at 2 cm after 2 weeks, I decided I didnt want to wait anymore :). I went home and discussed with John what we should do. He was down with whatever (of course), so I called the Dr back and asked when I could get in to be induced. She told me to call the following morning at 6:00 am to see if there were any beds available. Totally excited and nervous at the same time, I said ok and got ready to go to the hospital the next day! To be honest with you, I was pretty much a nervous wreck. I had my doubts, of course. Was I being selfish? Should I wait until the weekend when more of my family would be home from vacations? Later I realized, this experience was for me. It was my decision and if I wanted to meet my baby that week, I was lucky enough to be able to make that decision myself! (Ok ok, it was probably my parents talking me down after a small nervous breakdown. They made me feel good about my decision)
I set my alarm for 5:45 am to make sure I didnt sleep through the call. Of course, I didnt get any sleep that night because I was so anxious, but I got up anyway. When I called, they said they had a very busy night and to call back at 8:30 to see if any beds opened up. I set my alarm again. I call at 8:30. Still no beds available. They say to call back at 10:30. Again, 10:30 rolls around and STILL no beds available. The head nurse was very nice about everything and just said we may need to schedule it for the next day. I was slightly disappointed, but thankful that I wouldnt feel rushed.
Around 11:00 am that morning, the head nurse called me back. She said that if I wanted, I could probably get in that evening. I was so excited! She said not to eat anything past Noon and then to call at 6:30 just to verify beds were available. At 6:30, I called and...guess what? They said to call back at 7:15! HA! So, I waited another 45 min. When I called they said they had a bed for me and to be there by 8:00 pm. By this point, I had gone to my parents, just in case I was able to get in. They live 3 min away from the hospital. We hung out there for a bit then headed on over!

When I got there, they had me change into my gown. John and I just hung out and relaxed while the nurse started me on Pitocin. My parents, Traci, Mike and Brett came and hung out for a little bit. Traci and Brett soon had to leave to go to Lake Powell, and I made my Dad and Mike take John to go get something to eat (we had a long night ahead of us). When he got back, my parents decided it was best for them to go home and go to bed. The Dr. Watts said it might night be until the next afternoon and we all wanted to be well rested.



At about 11:00 pm, Dr Watts came in to break my water. Can I just say what a strange experience that was? Its almost like peeing your pants, but not feeling it at all. HA! It seems that as soon as my water was broken, the contractions started coming. Boy, you always hear that when you feel a real contraction, you will know it...and boy did I know it! The lame braxton hicks contractions I had been feeling before were NOTHING compared to these. They were grab sides of the bed, moaning, telling John we were never having kids again type of contractions! To say they were painful, would be an understatement. I really wanted to wait as long as possible to get an epidural, but by midnight or so, the contractions were so close together and so strong, I couldnt take it anymore. They came in and gave me the Epidural. Gotta say, probably the most nerve wracking thing about the whole experience. It really wasnt that bad, but I was so nervous I was shaking. As soon as she was done though, it was heaven! No more contractions baby! Man, I am so glad I got that. I cannot even imagine 8 more hours of that pain. I truly dont think I would have had the energy to actually push (especially after being up all night) without it. Epidurals are heaven sent!
After I was all numbed up, I was able to sleep! Everything seemed to go by so fast after that. They woke me up a couple of hours later and I was dilated to a 4. I went back to sleep. Woke me up again and I was at a 6. Went back to sleep. Woke me up a few hours later and I was at an 8. YAY! I text my Mom and she headed on over from work. At that point I knew John should eat something (the last thing I needed was him passing out during all of this).
At some point, the nurse put me on some oxygen. She was afraid the baby wasnt getting enough of it. She also put another thing inside me to monitor the babies heartbeat a little better. She was afraid that she was pushing too hard on my cervix and it was causing a little bit of distress. They actually put a bit more fluids IN me to cushen her poor little head. That seemed to do the trick! She was fine after that :)
When John got back my Dad was there. I was actually really glad he was there during it all. My parents are a very calming influence on me and having them there with me made everything so much better. The Nurse checked me again at about 9:00 am and she said everything was ready! Its a GO!
The nurse made John grab one leg, another nurse grabbed my other leg and I started pushing! I only add that part because John was NOT expecting that at all! I think he was just planning on hanging out by my head and comforting me. NOPE! He was helping me all the way baby!
I pushed for about a half an hour when the nurse told me to STOP! Baby was about to come! She called for Dr Watts. When he got there I pushed for another 10 min or so...and then she was here! Sophie Kay Martin! The cord was wrapped around her neck, which could have been the cause of her heart rate slowing down and such. I was so glad she was here and in my arms!





I am SO thankful for an awesome birthing experience. As John cut the umbilical cord (again, surprised he didnt pass out), I couldnt help but sob at the sight of my beautiful baby girl. We had gone through so much together the last 9 months, it was great to finally see her cute little face! She looked just like her daddy! An asian version of her daddy, but her daddy nontheless.
Its true what they say you know. It really, truly, all worth it in the end! I heard this my entire pregnancy and my only response to that was "it better be"...but in the end, it really truly was worth it. The sickness, the picc line, the pain..well...everywhere...was worth it! She is the best thing to EVER happen to me.
I just want to thank all of my friends and family for all of the support and love the last week (well, 9 months, really). It is great having such and awesome support system. John, Sophie and I love you all very much and if you havent met her yet, come on by!
Sophie Kay Martin
Born July 9, 2009 at 9:59 am
7 lbs 13 oz
19" long


9 comments:
how adorable is she!?!? and you look great! the bloody pics were yucky, what can I say but I'm so sad I have to wait until dec!!!!! oh well.. such is life on the east coast. LOVE YOU!
She is so beautiful. epidurals are the best, I have to agree with you on that one. I am so happy and excited for you guys and I can't wait to meet her in person. I am actually coming up there like the second weekend in Aug. would love to stop by and say hello.
She is such a doll, Shannon! Congrats! Wes, Jack and I are so excited to meet her.
I loved reading your story! Thanks for sharing it with us. The whole thing is beautiful, and such an exciting moment in your life. She is adorable!!! CONGRATULATIONS!
Shannon she is perfect! Congratulations!
Yay! Congrats and I'm glad all went well.
Oh she is so dang cute.
Shannon she is so cute!! Congrats on the new family!
Awe Shannon, welcome to the mommyhood! She is just beautiful.
Post a Comment