
My sweet lil Sophie Kay is exactly 2 weeks today. She had her very first checkup, and she did great! There is a brand new Pediatric place right by our house. It opened just in time for her checkup! Its a really nice building, I was very impressed. Although, the decorations are very "Utah". You know, Red walls, lots of vinyl stickers on the walls with inspirational quotes about mothers and their babies. They sure do know their audience!
After filling out paperwork, we got in fairly quick. They measured her, and weighed her. I am happy to announce that she is growing and gaining a healthy weight! When she was born she weighed 7 lbs 13 oz. When we left the hospital, she weighed 7 lbs 5 oz. The Dr said they want to see them back to their birth weight at 2 weeks. Not my lil gal! She now weighs 8 lbs 15 oz! She also was 19 inches long at birth. She is now 20.5 inches! Its not that I was worried about her or anything, but it is just good to know she is getting enough to eat and is healthy and happy.
She lost her umbilical cord on Monday. I think it got torn off, anyway. I couldn't find it for a little while and then found it attached to her blanket. I wasn't sure what to do with it...do you throw it away? I sure as heck am not going to scrapbook it or anything, but to throw it away just seems so final. I guess it sitting on my night stand is just as gross, eh? Her belly button has been bleeding a bit, but the Dr said it is normal. Also, same with her dry skin. I guess sitting in fluid for 9 months, and then being in this dry heat dries a babies skin out. He advised not to use a lot of lotion. Just some baby oil after a bath should do the trick.
Even though she is still very young and doesnt have too much of a personality, there are a few things I think sets her apart. First, she is not much of a crier. She really only cries when she is super hungry or has some gas. For the most part she grunts. To wake me up at night, I hear her grunting in her lil bassinet. Its pretty funny. When she is hungry and she is close to my boobie, she will grunt until she finds it. It cracks me up every time!
One of my favorite things so far, is that when she is falling asleep, she smiles! I dont think it is just gas, because she does it every time she is between awake and asleep. Im not sure what she is dreaming about that makes her do it, but I love watching her fall asleep so I can get a peek at her sweet little smile :) This is a picture of her smiling. Its really close up because Im pretty sure I was feeding her, and I doubt you want a picture of that!

She is also extremely strong. She can hold her head up fairly well, but also hold herself up with her arms. She hates being manipulated in any way. She is not a fan of diaper changes, or baths, or me putting her clothes on. She wants to be in control. At least, that is my interpretation of it. She is such a joy and I just love her to pieces!
One problem we are having is with our poor puppy Izzy. Its hard because we have not been able to give her the attention she needs. I love her a lot, but I am so tired all of the time, I dont have the energy to play with her or take her for a walk. This has resulted in a very bad Izzy. She has gotten into things and ruined things she knows she is not suppose to. The other day, John walked away from his leftover Cafe Rio, only to come back to Izzy licking his plate clean. 2 days ago, we came home from dinner to my retainers being chewed up. Today...oooooh today...she was very naughty. When I came upstairs, to my horror, she had gotten into the garbage. My bathroom garbage. She had totally torn up one of my used *coughpadscough*. So disgusting! I have vowed to be a better doggy mommy, because the poor thing needs some attention too!

I had not intended for this blog to be so long, but I really want to documents her milestones so I can look back and remember! I want to do a baby book for her, but I hate scrap booking. Blogging is the new scrapbook, for me! I will keep ya'll updated on her progress! Adios!
7 comments:
she is ADORABLE! I wish that I could see her sooner than CHRISTMAS TIME!!!
first of all, she is adorable. second of all, remember how i was right about not using too much lotion? i rock. third, you said boobie.
Renee and I want to come see your baby. Are you guys busy on Saturday?
I love her!
Love it Shan!! Keep "scrapbooking" on your blog please! :)
Shannon! I love it, I cant believe you are a momma. So presh! I miss you at work and cant wait for your cute name to pop up on my "IM". Loves!
Adorable! I love hearing about your life with this new baby! So cute!
Post a Comment