Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Weekendness

So much to report! So little time! (or patience...whichever...)

So this weekend was super busy and super fun. Friday night I ditched the hubby and the puppy and drove up the the Logan! Ashlee moved into her new place that her and her man will share once wed...and let me tell you...it needed a lot of help! I basically went up there with the intent to help clean and paint, which is what we did...but geez! You would think that either a)no one had lived there in about 50 years and just abandoned it the way it was or b)people don't know how to clean or take care of something they own! Actually...it was a mixture of A and B. The people who lived there didn't clean it up for about 50 years! Needless to say, we went through an entire bottle of 409 (best stuff ever) and so many paper-towels we pretty much wiped out an entire rain-forest. That house is NOT green friendly.

The house is so scary! We kept joking around that it is the house that Ann Frank lived in. I was afraid I would see ghosts. Ashlee assured me it was not haunted...but anything that went wrong I blamed it on the ghost of Ann Frank. I told my mom later that story and she asked me if Ann Frank really lived there. I assured her that Ann Frank lived in Germany during the Holocaust. And you wonder where I get it from...













Can I vent for a minute?

I really don't want to sound bitter or have a pity party or anything, but there is something that people must know about me (if they haven't figured it out already). I am a very sensitive person. I cant help it. I have always been that way (ask anyone in my family or friends or past roommates...). That being said, I have a tough time when I'm not very good at something. There are things I am OK at...but I get really down on myself when I am not as good as I want to be.

Last year I played on WGU's softball team. It was a ton of fun! Unfortunately, I let it get to me that I wasn't very good. Granted, it was my first time playing softball...ever. I think my bad attitude towards it ruined it for me...and everyone around me just assumed I wasn't very good because I believed I wasn't good.

Flash forward to this season. I really didn't want to play. Luckily (if you can say that) I got pregnant. Now, if I actually stayed pregnant I would have been huuuge by the time softball season came around, so I told the team manager I couldn't play. Flash forward a few more months, I was able to play again. The team lost a few players and so the Manager asked me to play full time. I was very hesitant. I didn't want people to be disappointed they had a sucky player on the team. With a little encouragement from him, saying he wouldn't let anyone give me crap...I consented.

It was so fun! I was actually doing much better and was just enjoying myself. I still had that nagging voice that I wasn't very good, but I tried to push it away. Until today.

I get an IM from the manager asking if I would sit tomorrow's game out. Um...sure. He said we had too many girl players and he had asked another girl I work with to sit it out also. Its OK, he says, you can come watch from the sidelines and cheer us on!

Uh-oh. Paranoia sets in. Why doesn't he want me to play? Why didn't he ask for volunteer's to sit out, instead of asking me specifically? Why is he also asking another not as experienced girl to sit out? Why is he letting non-WGU girls play, and not us?

I get up the nerves. "I have a question for you, and you have to be completely honest with me" I say. "Why did you ask me to sit out?"

He admits it. I am one of the weakest players on the team. He wanted the weakest girls to sit out. Ouch! Way to make my paranoia a reality! What happened to "not letting anyone give me crap?" What about "just having fun"? Haven't I been there every single game, cheering people on? Doing the best damn job I could?

I informed another co-worker/player of this incident. "Interesting" he says. He show's me a website. "You're the 7th best hitter out of all the girls in the entire league."

Apparently the "Manager" knew about this also.

Does this make any sense to anyone else?

Moral to the looooong story: Don't let anyone get you down! You are so much better than what you give yourself credit for.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your boss is a jerk! Just beat him with the bat! Ha ha! It'll show him how good you really are!